Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gluten-Free Lunch Success!

Well you could have fooled me, but gluten-free lunch at the G. house was a success! Of course, the picky kids wouldn't eat the gluten-free noodles, so we made egg noodles for them, but everyone loved the chicken. Thank you "A Year of Slow Cooking"! (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com) Dad, who has stated on multiple occasions that he has no desire to do anything gluten-free or UltraMind Solution related along with us, even tried the brown rice spirals with his chicken and liked them! We also had two guests over for lunch that tried the gluten-free noodles and liked them. I'm so excited! When I first tried one of the noodles to see if it the pasta was done, I was very sad because it tasted a lot like brown rice (go figure since that's what it's made out of), and really didn't remind me of pasta. But when I put the chicken and its sauce on top of it, it didn't have a lot of flavor, but the texture was very similar to pasta and the overall effect was the same as eating pasta. I was thrilled! If I can find good recipes like this one that fit the UltraMind Solution guidelines, I'm set. The gluten free noodles weren't terribly hard to find either, we got them at the United Supermarkets, which are all over town. And they weren't astronomically expensive either, I don't think, which was nice as well. The brand we used was De Boles (gluten-free rice spirals), the pasta came in a blue box and was located in the pasta aisle next to the gluten-filled pasta, so it was even easy to find. My only suggestions with these noodles are to follow the package instructions (cook for 7 minutes and then rinse with cold water) and eat them with some sort of sauce. I know doing that, my family was very happy and satisfied. Positive experiences like this make me feel that gluten-free living, though at first a bit difficult, is very possible. Now if I can just master cutting out dairy and trans/hydrogenated fats and sugar.... Luckily I don't have to jump into that quite yet.

Your happy camper,
Mel G.

No comments:

Post a Comment