Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gluten Free, Dairy Free (and other junk free) Banana Muffins

Trial and Error
We had some over ripe bananas, so I figured it was the perfect time to try the banana muffin recipe again, this time without the quinoa flour. Instead of the 1/2 cup of quinoa flour, I followed what the person that posted the recipe said that they had used (1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and 1/4 cup brown rice flour), and like before, I used 1/2 cup of Gluten Free oats instead of quinoa flakes. The result was soooooo much better than before! They reminded me a bit of a bran muffin as they were not terribly sweet, but they tasted quite good with some margarine (I didn't open the casein free margarine yet, but I am quite confident that would have tasted good on the muffins). I think I went into the experience expecting them to be sweeter than they ended up being (as the typical banana muffins we make in our family are extremely sweet (they even have chocolate chips in them)), but since they only have 2 tablespoons of honey in them, that was a silly expectation. It is because they only have 2 tablespoons of honey though, that I believe they are UltraMind Solution friendly (even some of Dr. Hyman's recipes have honey in them after all). They also have no oil, so there isn't a concern about trans or hydrogenated fats and they have no milk or milk substitutes. The recipe is quite simple and the result is very edible. Thank goodness! Even the 12 year old liked them! The recipe makes 11 muffins if you fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full, which I would suggest as they don't rise a ridiculous amount or anything. I personally used eggs rather than the flax replacer the original poster used, so I can't say how they would taste egg free. If you'd like to try the recipe as well, just click here.

Happy cooking!
Mel G.

No comments:

Post a Comment